A live broadcast covering a sporting event is one of the most technically challenging assignments for any production crew. Large, demanding global audiences (like those viewing the Olympics and World Cup events) with ever increasing quality expectations create even more pressure to produce a well-choreographed, real-time production. Multiple signals in a wide variety of formats need to be transmitted around the sporting venue, as well as being seamlessly integrated with feeds from a studio or other locations to form a complete broadcast stream.
Increasingly, broadcasters are turning to IP technology in order to simplify their networks by consolidating all their media traffic on a common platform, and to take advantage of the increasing array of video devices that natively support IP.
Managing all of the different signal types and locations can be a daunting task without advanced transport technology. Most media signals need to be encapsulated or adapted to work efficiently over a backbone that carries multiple signals.
The Media Links MD8000 IP-based platform has proven itself as an
ultra-reliable, high-performance transport system for all types of signals used in live sports or any other form of media networking.
Key facts About the Media Links Solutions:
- All of the signals required for a live sports broadcast are unified on a common transport platform.
- All of the signals required for a modern sports broadcast can be delivered over a single backbone, greatly reducing system complexity, setup time and cost.
- MD8000 has a switching fabric and control system that has been specifically optimized for media signals
- Seamless scalability to allow changes to be made to the network and user connections without disturbing ongoing transmissions
- Media Links was a pioneer in the development, deployment and standardization of hitless protection switching, a powerful error correction technique
“Using IP connections over a high-reliability switched Ethernet fabric, all of the signals required for a modern sports broadcast can be delivered over a single backbone, greatly reducing system complexity, setup time and cost.”
The MD8000 series of Media over IP Transport solutions is Media Links’ flagship solution for transporting 4K, 3G/HD/SD-SDI, and DVB-ASI over IP networks. The MD8000 solution offers broadcasters, telecoms, and network providers a cost-effective alternative to traditional video transport services. The MD8000 family addresses the need for broadcasters and carriers to connect directly to native IP networks for long-haul, multiple-wavelength transport links, which results in significant cost savings.